Continuing Our Journey of Following Jesus
- “I didn’t even own a Bible, but someone in my group bought me a brand new one.”
- “My group began praying with me for my daughter and now she’s attending a church with her boyfriend.”
- “It’s so great to talk about God and what I believe without being pressured.”
- “I look forward to one night a week where I am welcomed and cared for.”
- “This group is a gift from God. I can’t imagine facing what I’ve had to face this year without them. I can’t even explain how important they are to me.”
- “I didn’t even want to join, and now I’m upset that we’re not meeting for these weeks between sessions!”
Wellspring is ready to jump back into A Year of Following Jesus, and we encourage everyone to journey with us. Five hundred people were in the groups this fall, and nearly everyone is looking forward to continuing with session two. And, there is still room for you! We have new groups and there is room in existing groups, so join us. (See the details for joining a group at the bottom of this article.)
This winter we will focus on our hearts’ transformation.
In the fall we spent 10 weeks focusing on the foundational understanding necessary to follow Jesus. It is essential to know what we believe about God, his son Jesus, and his Holy Spirit. We need to know about God’s goodness, the evil that confronts us, and God’s perfect redemption plan already working on our behalf.
Yet following Jesus is never simply about what we know. This life of faith is not merely about retaining certain knowledge about God, about Christ or about His Spirit. Rather, this knowledge must affect our very identity. It must change who we are.
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. Matthew 16:25
So now we move into session two of A Year of Following Jesus where we address questions of being and becoming. What kind of people are followers of Jesus? Who are we meant to be? What characteristics ought to define us? And how does our experience of following Jesus transform us?
Throughout this session we’ll discuss such topics as The Transformed Mind, Sacrificial Worship, and The Discipline of Hope. Each week on Sunday morning, and again in the Following Jesus groups, we will focus on an aspect of transformation. These are not simply principles to understand, though certainly knowledge will help us along the way. Nor are these merely things to do, though there are actions we must choose to take if we are to ingrain these qualities in our identity. Rather, these ten weeks focus on transforming our attitudes, postures, and mindsets so that our transformed hearts will reflect the very Jesus we are choosing to follow.
Let’s invite the Lord to work in our lives and see how he transforms us from the inside out. We welcome you to A Year of Following Jesus, Session two: Our Hearts’ Transformation.
- Buy your copy of the study guide after any of the services this Sunday or next.
- Check in with your Following Jesus group leader to confirm your group’s start date.
- If you are not in a group, visit the tables in the café either this Sunday or next. We will work with you to connect you to the right group for you.